Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Swim Incident


Oh swimming - how Dylan just loves it.  The way she's been into eating seaweed lately (like it's going out of style) and watching her in the water I don't doubt that she wasn't a mermaid in a past life.  So to see her crying (I mean really crying) the other night at swim lessons I couldn't believe my eyes.  When I went to see what was up - Dylan says "Mom, I NEVER want to go back to swim lessons again!"  Oh no!  So after a week of talking and talking and talking about what happened I convinced her to give it another go.  So the morning of swimming D says to me "Hey mom, I don't think I can make it to swim lessons tonight as I have a runny nose."  Okay I can buy that but I say just to push the issue "Well I guess then you can't go to school or Trick or Treating either."  "Oh no mom I'll be okay for those things, I just think that I should stay home from swimming."  Wow, these little people are already thinking. 

Later that afternoon Auntie Beans came over and we all went to swim lessons together with me promising to talk with the teacher.  Apparently the teacher said to Dylan during her back float (which she practices every night at bath time) that she was going to let go of her - in Dylan's mind she thought this meant she was going to sink to the bottom of the pool as she is learning to swim without floaties.  So we asked the teacher before class to explain to D what she was trying to accomplish and to perhaps use a better choice of words.  Since Dylan was early to class she and the teacher tried a back float before class started AND..... drum roll..... a perfect back float without the teacher holding on to her.  Auntie Beans, our friend Freddie, and I all stood and applauded and the smile was back on D's face!  Oh thank goodness!  It was a proud moment in parenthood!!

At the end of class the kiddo's got to go through the slide - of course Dylan was the first one.  Picture is a little blurry as she was sooo fast to go through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment